[Plant-education] unusual oak

Scott Shumway via plant-ed%40net.bio.net (by sshumway from wheatonma.edu)
Mon Nov 23 21:07:06 EST 2009

Today I saw an oak tree (Pin Oak, I think) that appeared from a distance
to be covered with round fruits.  This was in MA, so there weren't any
leaves on the tree and the "fruits" (NOT acorns) showed up very well.
Upon closer inspection, they appeared to be galls.  But then I noticed
that they were woody and covered with buds.  These structures were the
size of golf balls and numbered in the hundreds, if not thousands.

What are they?  Witches brooms?

--
Scott Shumway
Professor of Biology