[Plant-education] First-year plant lab

Janice Glime via plant-ed%40net.bio.net (by jmglime from mtu.edu)
Wed Jul 20 12:28:47 EST 2011

Jon,
   Do you have adequate facilities for growing things?  Students could
ask various questions about how the phyla handle light or moisture
alteration or nutrients, or they could culture gametophytes and compare
viability or time to maturation or requirements.  Tropisms are fun, but
only need a few days; they could ask questions about light vs gravity in
a variety of kinds of plants (phyla) and compare these to their common
habitats.  I am thinking it might be fun to experiment with pillbugs and
look at herbivory on the various phyla, then look at protein,
carbohydrate, and defense compounds and compare these with growth rate
and where the plants live.  That would take less room and could probably
be done with one plant group at a time if necessary, or a series of
experiments.  Do you have any opportunity for a field trip to see the
various phyla?  Students could hypothesize about protein, carbohydrate,
defense, and degree of herbivory based on field observations and design
some experiments to test their hypotheses.  Feeding experiments are fun
and lead to more questions.  Students could develop a second set of
hypotheses related to seasons, kind of herbivores, food preferences, why
those preferences.  This could be used to tie together many concepts of
evolution, systematics, ecology, and physiology.
Janice

--
Dr. Janice Glime, Professor Emerita
   (Michigan Technological University)