Drying sourdough culture

Christina Callihan uc-chan at mcl.ucsb.edu
Sun Aug 16 12:00:53 EST 1992

In <1992Aug13.213238.23422 at u.washington.edu> monaghan at carson.u.washington.edu (Tracy Monaghan) writes:

>David and I have had this running dialog concerning yeast and lactobacilli
>in sourdough culture, particularly what happens during the drying process.

>I'm crossposting to bionet.plants (OK they're not really plants but give me
>a break, they're definitely not animals, are they?) in the hopes some
>biology types could settle this or at least lessen the cinfusion some.

Well, you happen to have a "biology type" right here on the group.  :)
I'm no microbiologist, mind, but........

[sneep]

>To which, I wrote :

>I'm not a biologist nor an experienced sourdough, but in it's dried form,
>the 'critters' would be dormant, and if I'm not mistaken, in a more
>resistant form.

>There has been some speculation that since lactobacilli does not
>truly sporulate it may have a more difficult time surviveing
>the drying.  There has never been a clear answer for the group.

Lactobacilli do not sporulate.  What they do is form something called a
capsule, a protective coating around themselves.  They do this whenever
their environment is no longer optimum for survival and growth: i.e.,
when things start getting dry.  Whether or not capsules protect against
a near-total dryout would probably depend on the kind of bacteria in
question.

Hope that helps.  :)

If You Know What |     Christina M. Callihan     |  Doing STRANGE THINGS
 You're Doing,   |  AKA C-chan, Bwee, Chrystal-  |  in the name of Art,
   It's Not      |   Elf & Who Knows What Else   |  and STRANGER THINGS
   Research!     |       (I sure don't)          |    in the name of
 => => => => =>  |     uc-chan at mcl.ucsb.edu      |       CHOCOLATE
	When life gets weird, the weird get a life.     :)