energy crops

triplett at CALSHP.CALS.WISC.EDU triplett at CALSHP.CALS.WISC.EDU
Sat Aug 8 17:10:11 EST 1992

Half of all cars in Brazil run on ethanol.  The source of this ethanol
is sugarcane.  This is the only renewable way to operate cars that I
know of.  Electric cars are not the answer as they simply divert the source
of pollution and fossil fuel utilization to another source.  The pollution
is less from nuclear-fired plants than coal-fired ones, but they have
other problems.   The way of the future should be alcohol powered
vehicles.  Let's hope our governments see the light and not do as the
California legislature did and mandate electric vehicles.
Eric Triplett, Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison