cantaloupe and ICs

S. A. Modena samodena at csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Wed Dec 2 19:24:03 EST 1992

In article <1992Dec2.171051.162 at cbfsb.cb.att.com> djd at cbnewsg.cb.att.com (david.j.daulton) writes:

>AT&T IN THE NEWS *** OZONE FRIENDLY -- AT&T researchers have found
>that cantaloupes may be the answer to some ozone-depleting
>emissions in electronics manufacturing.  The researchers said they
>have isolated a compound [n-butyl butyrate] from the fruit that
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>can replace the chemical trichloroethane used as a solvent in
>manufacturing integrated circuits for high-speed computers and
>switching systems in telecommunications networks.  Trichloroethane
>emits gases that destroy ozone.  The chemical from cantaloupes is
>harmless and recyclable, the researchers said. [WSJ]

Ahhh!  I stand corrected: n-butyl butyrate.

Plus I need to correct another point in my question.

If  CH3-CH2-CH2-COO-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3 (n-butyl butyrate) smells like
    cantalope,

What do you suppose CH2=CH-CH2-CH2-COO-CH2-CH2-CH3 (n-butyl pentenoate)
                                                                ^^
smells like?  ;^)  Let's put it this way: I used to work for a company
in the business of making plastics monomers and that was one of the
several by-products (i.e., various short chain alkyl pentENoates).  Our
group was asked to see if that potential monomer had any "useful"
properties when incorporated into a methacylate/acrylate backbone.

I got to run precisely TWO polymerization reactions.  The first time,
the "searchers" found "us" about 10 minutes after I had pippetted out
a milliliter or two into the reaction mix (this was is a well, equiped,
well-ventillated industrial lab).   On the second day, working in the
hood, uncapping the bottle straight from the refrigerator, I was
pounced on by a worker from the floor below within 20 seconds of my opening
the bottle!  Yes, he came on a dead run!

Later that afternoon, the Lab Head came in to tell us that the
"exploratory" program was cancelled and there would be someone coming
around to pick up what was left of the experimental monomer.

The company desided that they would just continue to burn off the
unwanted side products, rather than try to clean them up and use them
in polymer products.  ;^)

Steve

---