More musical woods\

david.j.daulton djd at cbnewsg.cb.att.com
Fri Dec 4 12:54:18 EST 1992

Re oboes and ebony, PBS ("Nature"?) in Oct. or Nov. had a fascinating program
on the tree this wood comes from, in Africa.  I was a bit confused, because
they did not call it an "ebony tree", but I assumed the wood is named
differently from the plant.

Bottom line, supplies are running out fast.  And much wood that is being
harvested has something wrong with it causing shattering when lathed.
Apparently, wood grown in populated areas is stressed by agicultural
practices (and there ain't no unpopulated area no more).  Plastics have been
tried, but do not give the sweet tone that wood gives.

Dave Daulton, Columbus, Ohio