Plant communication/sensing references wanted

Rich Young young at serum.kodak.com
Mon Dec 14 20:24:06 EST 1992

In article <1992Dec12.232346.4887 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk> ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk writes:

>In article <921212201751.MIN-LVICa00330.bionet-news at uk.ac.daresbury> you wrote:
>:
>:    The subject about says it all: I'm interested in references to literature
>:    which explores the capabilities of the plant world with reference to
>:    sensing of hostile environments or predators, defense mechanisms thus
>:    initiated, and inter- as well as intra-plant communication of sensory
>:    information.
>
>Hello, Rich.
>
>There is a recent book called "Sensitive plants" that, amongst other topics,
>describes the responses of Mimosa pudica.  Unfortunately, I've forgotten the
>author/publisher - does anyone else know?

   Hello, Tony.

   I've just finished reading Wildon, et. al., in NATURE 360:62-65, and I
   find this to be fascinating.  Seems like it's one of those, "Golly, we
   never thought they could do THAT," subjects.  Is this stuff a hot topic
   of discussion in the plant-oriented community?

   I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to contribute much, but I'd sure learn a lot
   from a bionet-based discussion of the topic.  I hope someone feels moved
   to start one.

-Rich Young (These are not Kodak's opinions.)