[ARCH] Re: Which Came First, Agriculture or Pastorialism? [LONG]

Tracy Ratcliff tratclif at oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu
Thu Dec 17 21:40:43 EST 1992

In article <1992Dec17.153100.6512 at panix.com> stcmille at panix.com (Steve Miller) writes:
>In <BzD7qt.4u at NeoSoft.com> claird at NeoSoft.com (Cameron Laird) writes:
>
>>In article <BzACz4.7IF at well.sf.ca.us> dchapman at well.sf.ca.us (Dave Chapman) writes:
>>>Can anyone out there tell me what the best current dates are
>>>for the beginning of agriculture, and for the beginning of
>>>herding?  I have the impression that domestication of sheep
>>>occurred later than the domestication of grains, but would
>>>like to see actual references.
>>>
>>There is much, much more to it than this, though.
>       [stuff deleted]
>However, to the topicat hand: what about the domestication of plants
>and animals?  Cameron, you noted correctly that domestication emerges in
>various places at various time, and that there's no clear priority of
>plants or animals.  But you neglected the pet factor.  As a generation
>of covert scholarship has shown, animals were first domesticated for
>their "cute" qualities, rather than for food, protection, etc.

I was under the impression that the 'pet' theory was no longer the leader.
At least that was the impression I got from _Covenant of the Wild_ (can't
remember the author and I may have the title wrong too (sigh)).  It was more
of a pro-farming anti-PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals)
book, but it spent a couple of chapters on the origins of domestication.