Plant communication/sensing references wanted

Rich Young young at clpd.kodak.com
Sat Dec 19 14:29:14 EST 1992

In article <1992Dec19.000623.3822 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk> ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk writes:

[...]

>The fundamental ion-transport process in plants is widely accepted to
>be electrogenic proton extrusion by membrane-bound ATP-ases (in effect
>a reversal of chemi-osmotic ATP synthesis according to Mitchell's
>hypothesis).  See for example Poole, R.J. 1978, Energy coupling for
>membrane transport, Annual Review of Plant Physiology, 29, 437-460.
>
>The other ion-transport processes are driven indirectly by the
>resulting electrochemical potential gradients and moderated by
>selective permeability of the membrane to different ions.
>
>Although net Na+/K+ exchanges are observed in plant cells (Na+ efflux
>and K+ influx) the Na+/K+ antiport found in animal cells does not occur
>in plant cells, to the best of my knowledge.  I'm sure Bill will
>correct me if Na+/K+ antiport has been demonstrated in plants ;-)

	Okay.  Wildon, et. al., state that "...wounding by heat or physical
	injury produces electrical activity that has similarities to the
	epithelial conduction system used to transmit a stimulus in the
	defence responses of some lower animals."

	Is this a similar phenomenon?  Please be gentle, you're talking to
	an engineer, here.   :-)

-Rich Young (These are not Kodak's opinions.)