[ARCH] Re: Which Came First, Agriculture or Pastorialism? [LONG]

Bruce Scott Bruce.Scott at launchpad.unc.edu
Tue Dec 22 18:17:40 EST 1992

claird at NeoSoft.com (Cameron Laird) writes:
> stcmille at panix.com (Steve Miller) writes:
>>[Cameron Laird wrote:]			.
>>>3.  domestication isn't irreversible.  Elk
>>>    ("moose" to North Americans) and stinging [...]

>No, I'm serious.  Europeans say "elk", and
>mean <<Alces alces>>, which is what all
>English speakers in North America call
>"moose".  Any Scandinavians care to confirm

I can confirm it in the case of Germany. The German "Elsch" is the
North American "Moose".

Bruce Scott
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Plasmaphysik, Garching, Germany

   The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
     North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information
        Technology, or the Experimental Bulletin Board Service.
           internet:  laUNChpad.unc.edu or