BEN # 34

Adolf Ceska aceska at CUE.BC.CA
Sun Jun 28 11:48:00 EST 1992

BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N          ISSN 1188-603X
BB   B   EE       NNN  N
BBBBB    EEEEE    NN N N          BOTANICAL
BB   B   EE       NN  NN          ELECTRONIC
BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N          NEWS

No. 34                            June 28, 1992

Address: aceska at cue.bc.ca         Victoria, B.C.

EDITORIAL

The main objective of BEN is a fast distribution of
botanical news from the west coast of North America,
particularly British Columbia. If you have any news,
requests, questions etc. related to any field of botany
(and at least vaguely related to our Pacific area)
send me your contribution.

I started BEN as a joke by sending botanical news to
colleagues on the British Columbia governmental e-mail.
Later I was offered to use cue.bc.ca system to distribute
BEN outside the B.C. governmental network. (During the
last two or three weeks our cue.bc.ca has misbehaved and
has been down more often than running, and our e-mail has
been disrupted. I hope that the problems are fixed, if you
tried to reach me with no answer, please, try again!)

Recently, BEN has been "syndicated" and is available on
PLANTBIO/bionet.plants news group and on EcoNet plants.news
conference/newsgroup. You can subscribe to BEN directly by
sending a request to aceska at cue.bc.ca, or you can
subscribe the above mentioned new groups (see a note
below).

I apologize for occasional slips in my English. English
is my "second" language, but I don' want to go through my
ghost writers and editors; BEN would lose its promptness
and expediency and also my Bohemian touch.

COMING EVENTS IN VICTORIA

Tuesday, July 7, 1992 - Meeting of the Garry Oak Meadows
   Society - Swan Lake Nature House, 7:30 p.m.

NORTHERN RANGE EXTENSION FOR WESTERN RED CEDAR
   (THUJA PLICATA)
From: </S=B.PAWUK/OU=R10F02A/PRMD=USDA.FS.X400
/ADMD=TELEMAIL/C=US/@ sprint.com>

A single tree of western red cedar was found at Farragut
Bay, in southeast Alaska (57 degrees-10 min N and 133
degrees-8 min W).  The tree is on the mainland on the
Stikine Area of the Tongass National Forest.  It is
believed to be the most northerly record for this species.
The tree, about 8 meters tall with a dbh of 20.8 cm, is
growing on a low productive site and is associated with
Tsuga heterophylla, Tsuga mertensiana, and Picea
sitchensis.  The understory is composed of Vaccinium
alaskense, V. ovalifolium, V. vitis-idaea, Menziesia
ferruginea, Empetrum nigrum, Sphagnum spp. and other bog
related species.  The nearest known stand of red cedar is
on Kupreanof Island and is about 45 km west and 20 km
south of Farragut Bay. The nearest stand of red cedar on
the mainland is about 95-100 km southeast of the Farragut
Bay tree.   The relatively small size of the tree and its
location of about half of a km from salt water suggests
that others may be present in the area.  Twig samples with
cones were collected and are filed in the U.S. Forest
Service's herbarium at Petersburg, Alaska.

RE: WETLAND ECOLOGIST POSITION (BEN #33)
From: Pekka Pakarinen <PAKARINEN at cc.Helsinki.FI>

Dear Colleague;

Thanks for the latest issue of B.E.N. (June 15). The
announcement of a wetland ecologist's position is
interesting as it indicates that vegetation research is
proceeding strongly on BC wetlands/peatlands (I assume
peatlands are included in the concept "freshwater
wetlands" as in the recent, 1988, book edited/coordinated
by C. Rubec). Based on this book (chapter coauthored by A.
Banner, R.J. Hebda, E.T. Oswald, J. Pojar and R.
Trowbridge) and also on the presentations given in 1987 in
Edmonton (Banner, Pojar & Kimmins;  Pojar & Roemer),
British Columbia probably has the greatest diversity of
wetland/peatland site types in Canada. Therefore, it is
very good that further work is planned to develop the
classification for conservation and other purposes. I have
had a chance to look into some Alaskan peatlands a couple
of years ago, and although there are no immediate plans, I
hope also to do some vegetation or moss ecological
research in W Canada as well. I was wondering, if it has
been possible to use Coenos in MoF or MoELP (?) databases
mentioned in the announcement.

Best regards,
Pekka P.

AC: Thanks for mentioning Coenos. MoF (Ministry of
Forests) uses their own program for writing vegetation
tables (VTAB - see BEN #13) which includes some elements
of the Ceska-Roemer program (Vegetatio 23[1971]: 255-277).
The main obstacle of Coenos seems to be its simple input
format - most North American vegetation data are coded in
the Cornell format, in British Columbia in the BCF [orest
Service] format.

BALSAMORHIZA DELTOIDEA SEED AVAILABLE
From: Bill Merilees

Recently I collected a fair supply of Balsamorhiza
deltoidea seed from the Campbell River estuary population
threatened by the harbour development. I would like to
make this available to any interested party who may wish
to try growing this in a suitable sandy-gravel site.

Last year I had a 50% success with a few seeds planted in
navyjack in a flower pot. As we speak three of these have
a single leaf about 5cm high and one has two leaves. This
tells me they grow slowly!

I also hope to get some 'plots' set up in protected areas
eg. Little Qualicum Wildlife area, Rathtrevor Beach (?),
Island View Beach (?), - habitats similar to that at
Campbell River. Suggestions welcome.

Interested parties can contact me at 248-3931 (work) or
758-1801 (evenings).  Thanx - Bill Merilees

RE: BALSAMORHIZA

Bill, I don't think that it would be correct to plant
balsam root on sites where it did not grow (such as Island
View Beach). Any comments or suggestions from the readers ?

BEN ON BEN

Do you know Ben ? I mean Dr. Benito Tan, a bryologist and
a good friend of many British Columbia botanists ?
I just got a note from him from the Farlow Herbarium:
"Thank you for the inclusion of my name in your BC botanical
newsletter ... "    Benito Tan's e-mail address is

btan at huh.harvard.edu

and he will be glad to hear from all his friends.

HOW TO SUBSCRIBE PLANTBIO OR ECONET

PLANTBIO is accessible, I hope, from USENET. (I ventured
into USENET several times, but was always overwhelmed by
the large number of conferences I had to skip in order to
get something useful.) You can
subscribe to PLANTBIO/bionet.plants directly by mailing a request
to <biosci at genbank.bio.net>.

EcoNet is a foundation-sponsored net in San Francisco.
Many bulletin boards, and access to most USENET boards.
For subscription info (it's cheap!) sent an Internet
message to support at igc.org and ask for info on EcoNet.
Please note, that this is not the free-of-charge Econet
that disappeared from the e-lists in March (merged with
BIOSPH-L).

BIG BEN IN BARCELONA

Big BEN is competing in the Olympics ! This Canadian horse
is expected to win a medal in horse jumping competitions.