BEN ? 33

Adolf Ceska aceska at ca.bc.cue
Mon Jun 15 02:24:06 EST 1992

BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N          ISSN 1188-603X
BB   B   EE       NNN  N
BBBBB    EEEEE    NN N N          BOTANICAL
BB   B   EE       NN  NN          ELECTRONIC
BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N          NEWS

No. 33                            June 14, 1992

Address: aceska at cue.bc.ca         Victoria, B.C.

COMING EVENTS IN VICTORIA, B.C.

June 16, 1992 - Newcombe Auditorium, 8:00 p.m.
   Ron McBeath (Edinburgh Botanic Gardens):
   "Plant hunting in China" - cost $5.00
   Tickets in Dig This, Ivy's Bookstore & Village
   Books.

BOTANY BC 1992

The meeting took place in Lac le Jeune May 28 to May 30
and was very successful. The topic of the meeting was
Grassland ecology and the standard of all talks was
high. We saw some exceptional slides in contributions by
Don Gayton and Anna Roberts and in the evening "Slide Talk
Photo Essay" by Diana & Alex Inselberg. Thanks to Bob Scheer
and Wayne Erickson we had an opportunity to meet
Ecological Reserves Volunteer Wardens.

BOTANY BC 1993

The following topics were chosen for the next year meeting of
the BOTANY BC: Insects and plants, and Ethnobotany.
Organizational committee was asked to plan the meeting
somewhere in the Kootenay's (SE British Columbia).

POSITION OPEN

Contract Position:  WETLAND ECOLOGIST
Term:  Approximately 9 months

Duties:  Work with the B.C. Conservation Data Centre,
Ministry of Environment, Lands and Parks, and the Ministry
of Forests on development of wetland vegetation types
(freshwater and estuarine) in B.C.  Conduct literature
search of all wetland classifications in the province to
identify described wetland communities.  Assemble plot
data from MoF, MoELP, and other sources into format
compatible with the biogeoclimatic correlation synthesis
programs.  Determine areas of the province which have not
yet been studied.  Code historical and new data, when
necessary.  Correlate MoELP Habitat Classes with MoF site
association/site series classification.  Arrange workshops
with regional experts to review the classification.
Prepare progress report and identify further
classification needs at end of term.

If interested, please submit a resume with covering letter
addressing qualifications and contract fees to the
following address, no later than Friday, June 19, 1992:

Carmen Cadrin
B.C. Conservation Data Centre
780 Blanshard St.
Victoria, B.C.  V8V 1X5
(phone 604/356-0929)

MITELLA CAULESCENS IN BRITISH COLUMBIA
From: Terry Taylor c/o <rtaylor at cue.bc.ca>

Beth Whittaker showed me the M. caulescens population in
the Chilliwack Valley.  It is beside a small creek along
the edge of the lower part of the Elk Mountain trail.  I
did not know that this species still occurred in B. C. It
is definitely M. caulescens, as Beth believed: flowers at
top of raceme, buds at bottom.  Leaves on stems.  Beth
Whittaker's plant list has just been published in the
latest issue of Discovery.  The Mitella caulescens site
may be slated for logging.

RE: MITELLA CAULESCENS
From: Adolf Ceska <aceska at cue.bc.ca>

Check the UBC herbarium, they may have several more
collections from the Chilliwack River Valley. About seven
years ago there was a student in the UBC who studied
Mitella caulescens distribution. On Vancouver Island we
have an old record of M. caulescens from Port Alberni. We
(Oluna & I) collected it with Bob Ogilvie & Hans Roemer on
Limestone Mountain and recently at the lower part of the
Nixon Creek (by the access road to the Walbran Valley).

TIARELLA TRIFOLIATA VS. T. LACINIATA
From: Terry Taylor c/o <rtaylor at cue.bc.ca>

The new Vascular Plants of B. C. suggests that Tiarella
laciniata is a hybrid of T. unifoliata and T. trifoliata.
I am sceptical of this conclusion.  I have not observed T.
laciniata in sites geographically or altitudinally between
the other two, but rather it grows towards the seaward
direction of T. trifoliata, at least in the Lower Mainland
area. All three occur along the Howe Sound Crest Trail,
and T. laciniata reaches the 1000 meter level on Eagle
Ridge, above Buntzen Lake. It does not seem to be  be any
farther east.  On casual observation T. laciniata does not
seem intermediate with its deeply divided leaflets. In
fact T. trifoliata looks more like a cross between T.
laciniata and T. unifoliata.

RE: TIARELLA
From: Adolf Ceska <aceska at cue.bc.ca>

Tiarella laciniata cannot be a hybrid of T. trifoliata x
unifoliata (see hybrid index calculations by Kern - cf.
Madrono 16 [1966]: 152-160).

The occurrence of T. laciniata on the B.C. Lower Mainland
is interesting and I would be interested in any herbarium
specimens you can send me. The Lower Mainland plants were
mentioned by D.B.O. Savile (Canadian Field-Naturalist 87
[1973]: 460-462), who also pointed out differences in
the pubescence of petioles:
"Tiarella laciniata petioles have abundant gland-tipped
white hairs, of which the longest are conspicuously
flexuous and often somewhat decurved. ... In T. unifoliata
and in typical T. trifoliata there is a modest production
of short to moderately long (but straight) hairs near
lamina; but for most of the petiole length there are only
short-stalked to sessile glands, and often these are so
sparse that the petiole may appear glabrous to the naked
eye."

The rank of our western Tiarella taxa is still open to
questions. Here I refer to them at the species level only
because I want to keep the names short. In Vascular Plants of
B.C. they are listed as varieties of T. trifoliata. Kern (see
above) recognized a single species (T. trifoliata) with two
subspecies (unifoliata and trifoliata) and treated
T. laciniata as T. trifoliata subsp. trifoliata var. laciniata.

DELTA PROGRAMS
From: Taxacom discussion list

New versions of the DELTA programs for MS-DOS are now
available on the Taxacom FTP server. The files are in the
directory /pub/delta/msdos of the anonymous FTP area at
huh.harvard.edu (128.103.108.123).

The distribution package consists of 3 text files *.1st, 6
self-expanding files *.exe, and 4 image files *.gif.
Download.1st contains this information about downloading
the files, changes.1st contains the revision history of
the programs, and delta.1st describes the procedure for
installing the programs on an MS-DOS computer. The files
must be transmitted in binary mode, set by the ftp command
`binary'. (Failure to do so will result in the error
message `HeaderC Error' when the .exe files are run.)

To install the programs on an MS-DOS computer, place the
---.exe files in the
directory C:\DELTA, and the .gif files in the directory
C:\DELTA\LEP. Then follow the installation procedure
described in delta.1st, but omitting the two XCOPY
commands.

The date of this release is 21 April 1992.

BIOLOGICAL NITROGEN FIXATION ELECTRONIC NETWORK

BNFNET is the Biological Nitrogen Fixation Electronic
Network and currently has about 90 members (April. 1992)
from 25 countries, who can be reached via its mailing list
BNFNET-L

BNFNET-L provides a forum for the exchange of information,
experiences and scientific results on BNF. It has 6
discussion groups for e.g. Legume-Rhizobium, Nitrogen
Fixing Trees; Genetics/Biochemistry; Free-living nitrogen
Fixers; Culture Collections; and Computer Networking.
BNFNET-L also serves as an electronic newsletter and
provides information on forthcoming conferences, recent
publications and research profiles of organizations, etc.

To join BNFNET-L, send the listserv command:
SUBSCRIBE BNFNET-L <your name>
to LISTSERV at FINHUTC          (Bitnet)
or LISTSERV at FINHUTC.HUT.FI   (Internet)