Mike Folsom mwfolsom at
Mon Jun 8 21:49:10 EST 1992

In article <1992Jun6.215321.7477 at> ajt at (Tony Travis) writes:
>I studied stomatal movements in plants for many years and I can see a
>clear advantage to a plant in being able to control its water use
>efficiency but I'm puzzled by other nastic responses.
>What is the selective advantage to plants of nyctinasty (sleep
>movements) which closes flowers in the evening?

Prehaps its an isolation mechanism - something to limit which
insects (or whatever) pollinate the plant.

       I've been told to keep my remarks relatively brief.
                     I understand Quayle-hunting season begins at noon.

                                       -- V. P. Dan Quayle at Eau Claire, Wisc.
                                                    (LA Times  10/16/88)
M.W.Folsom"Biology"UNM"Albuqueerque,NM87131"505.277.4228"mwfolsom at