Nyctinasty

Melissa Melan MMELAN at LUCY.WELLESLEY.EDU
Mon Jun 8 12:13:00 EST 1992

Here's my wildly speculative contribution to the discussion:
	My first thought on the closing of flowers was that it had something to
do with pollinators....perhaps protection of the flower from the "wrong"
pollinator during the night.  The only nocturnal pollinators that I know of,
however, are bats and I don't think that they are particularly destructive to
flowers.  This also does not explain leaf movements so maybe its not the most
valid hypothesis.
Melissa Melan			Internet:(mmelan at lucy.wellesley.edu)
Department of Biological Sciences
Wellesley College