Nyctinasty

Tony Travis ajt at puffin.doc.ic.ac.uk
Sat Jun 6 16:53:21 EST 1992

I studied stomatal movements in plants for many years and I can see a
clear advantage to a plant in being able to control its water use
efficiency but I'm puzzled by other nastic responses.

What is the selective advantage to plants of nyctinasty (sleep
movements) which closes flowers in the evening?

It was a beautiful day here in Scotland today, and I've just watched
the sun go down on a field of daisies - I know _how_ the movemets
occur:  I wonder why they evolved?

	Tony

--
    Tony Travis <ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri>  | Dr. A.J.Travis