Maize phloem mass transfer rate

Ricardo J Salvador rjsalvad at IASTATE.EDU
Fri Jun 5 17:56:26 EST 1992

In article <1992Jun3.223217.24414 at doc.ic.ac.uk>, ajt at swan.doc.ic.ac.uk (Tony
Travis) writes:
> rjsalvad at IASTATE.EDU (Ricardo J Salvador) writes:
> : In article <1992Jun1.225828.26450 at doc.ic.ac.uk>, ajt at swan.doc.ic.ac.uk
(Tony
> : Travis) writes:
> : > We are measuring, amongst other features, the mean radius of cells and
> : > cell wall thickness in Co125 and W401 maize internodes.  Is the
> : > diameter of phloem cells one of the physical limitations you are
> : > interested in?
> :
> : Yes.  This would allow estimation of total sieve tube cross-sectional area.
> : In combination with known dry matter partition in various sinks, this
allows
> : measurement of the mass transfer rate.  Coincidentally, W401 is one of the
> : entries I am working with as well.
>
> At present, we are only measuring mean cell wall thickness and cell
> radius in four tissues: epidermis, sclerenchyma, parenchyma and
> 'vascular' but it would be possible to sub-divide the vascular tissues
> into eg. xylem and phloem.

Yes, there are a number of prominent features that should make xylem and
phloem cells easily separable.

> Are you using image analysis at all Ricardo?

No.  We have an image analysis facility on campus, but I am attempting to
gather the type of data I need through low-tech, low time-requirement
methods, namely examination of peduncle cross-sections under the compound
scope.

Ricardo Salvador      | Internet:   rjsalvad at IASTATE.EDU | "Thou art a little
1126 Agronomy Hall    | BITNET:     a1.rjs at ISUMVS        | soul bearing about
Iowa State University | CompuServe: 71570,212            | a corpse."
Ames, IA 50011-1010   | GEnie:      R.Salvador           | -Marcus  Aurelius-