Maize phloem mass transfer rate

Tony Travis ajt at swan.doc.ic.ac.uk
Wed Jun 3 17:32:17 EST 1992

rjsalvad at IASTATE.EDU (Ricardo J Salvador) writes:
: In article <1992Jun1.225828.26450 at doc.ic.ac.uk>, ajt at swan.doc.ic.ac.uk (Tony
: Travis) writes:
: > We are measuring, amongst other features, the mean radius of cells and
: > cell wall thickness in Co125 and W401 maize internodes.  Is the
: > diameter of phloem cells one of the physical limitations you are
: > interested in?
:
: Yes.  This would allow estimation of total sieve tube cross-sectional area.
: In combination with known dry matter partition in various sinks, this allows
: measurement of the mass transfer rate.  Coincidentally, W401 is one of the
: entries I am working with as well.

At present, we are only measuring mean cell wall thickness and cell
radius in four tissues: epidermis, sclerenchyma, parenchyma and
'vascular' but it would be possible to sub-divide the vascular tissues
into eg. xylem and phloem.

Are you using image analysis at all Ricardo?

	Tony

--
    Tony Travis <ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri>  | Dr. A.J.Travis