gardening ethics? (was: Domestication of Poison Ivy)

ralston at ROCKVAX.ROCKEFELLER.EDU ralston at ROCKVAX.ROCKEFELLER.EDU
Fri Nov 13 18:27:33 EST 1992

Your point is one that I believe is shared by many people -
essentially that harm is only assessed in reference to
human beings.  An extension of this is the case of animal
rights activists who also are concerned with harm done to
animals.  Why is it that so few are concerned with the lives
of plants?  This seems like an absurd arguement - and I am
not promoting one side or the other.  I just find it curious
that so many are concerned with the sanctity of life only
as it applies to certain organisms.  What about fungi?
What about insects?  What about bacteria?  We're all very
happy to kill them off!