Giant Hogweed

P E Smee exspes at
Mon Nov 16 13:39:47 EST 1992

In the referenced article, djd at (david.j.daulton) writes:
>In article <19856.2af4f60f at> mckeonj at writes:
>>the "giant hogweed" from America (South, I think) for decor.....
>> a large umbelliferous plant up to 8 feet tall and of alien
>Is this what we call "giant cow parsnip"?  I grew one a few years
>ago.  It looked like a gigantic acanthus.

According to my dictionary (Chambers) 'hogweed' is another name for
'giant parsnip'.

(Of course, considering the way the names of plants and animals shift
around from one country to another, that may not be relevant.  Anyone
doubting this need only compare English, American, and Australian

Paul Smee, Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, UK
 P.Smee at - ..!uunet!ukc!bsmail!p.smee - Tel +44 272 303132