Giant Hogweed

P E Smee exspes at gdr.bath.ac.uk
Mon Nov 16 13:39:47 EST 1992

In the referenced article, djd at cbnewsg.cb.att.com (david.j.daulton) writes:
>In article <19856.2af4f60f at ul.ie> mckeonj at ul.ie writes:
>
>>the "giant hogweed" from America (South, I think) for decor.....
>>...is a large umbelliferous plant up to 8 feet tall and of alien
>
>Is this what we call "giant cow parsnip"?  I grew one a few years
>ago.  It looked like a gigantic acanthus.

According to my dictionary (Chambers) 'hogweed' is another name for
'giant parsnip'.

(Of course, considering the way the names of plants and animals shift
around from one country to another, that may not be relevant.  Anyone
doubting this need only compare English, American, and Australian
'robins'.)

--
Paul Smee, Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, UK
 P.Smee at bristol.ac.uk - ..!uunet!ukc!bsmail!p.smee - Tel +44 272 303132