Fodder

Thomas Bjorkman Thomas_Bjorkman at cornell.edu
Thu Nov 19 16:57:43 EST 1992

In article <1992Nov18.090359.5839 at news.Hawaii.Edu> Jonathan Yee,
yee at uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu writes:
>Lately, for my newly established duck & goose enterprise I have decided
>try to grow my own feed -- at least as a supplement.  I've so far sown
>clover, alfalfa, & buckwheat seeds purchased at a health food store.

The optimum daytime growing temperature for buckwheat is in the mid to
high 60's.  You would probably get better performance out of something
better suited for Hawaii.

Of greater concern is that buckwheat seeds can be pretty weedy. at least
here.  Fortunately the frost kills them eventually.  I want to second G.
Fryer's concern about wantonly introducing plants that can cause problems
with the local flora.
The best thing to do is to call your county Cooperative Extension agent.
Their job is to have the answers that apply to your area, though their
concern about escaped exotics varies a lot from individual to individual.