Problems shipping seeds overseas?

S. A. Modena samodena at csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Tue Oct 6 22:05:36 EST 1992

In article <15930 at umd5.umd.edu> bwilliam at oyster.smcm.edu (Bill Williams) writes:
>A colleague of mine in Asia has asked me to order some seeds for him.
>Apparently the U.S. vendor he wants to use won't ship overseas.  Am I
>likely to encounter any problems or restrictions? Can I just order the
>seeds and put them in the mail?
>___________________________________
>William E. Williams, bwilliam at oyster.smcm.edu
>Divison of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
>St. Mary's College of Maryland
>St. Mary's City, MD 20686

Ooops, I'm no more than 10 years out of date.  I make some teosinte/maize
crosses in a winter greenhouse for a UK colleague; cleaned up the
kernels (vacuuming); and dusted them with Captan (on advice from a
USDA geneticist with foreign expeience; he said: Missouri is not
regarded as a endemic area for maize diseases ).

Again, I shipped in an Air Mail packet marked: 40 kernels of maize for
laboratory experimental use: no commercial value".  The packet
had no trouble with UK Customs.

Steve