Heavy Metals and Fruit Trees

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Mon Oct 19 17:39:17 EST 1992

In article <921019203041.MIN-LJCBa00256.bionet-news at uk.ac.daresbury> you wrote:
:
:    I am after a information on the effects of heavy metals in
: the soil on fruit trees.
:
: Are metals like Pb and Cd detrimental to the growth of trees like
: apples, peaches and pears? Is there any research on tolerable concentrations
: of these elements? Are these metals likely to migrate to the fruit?
: What type of soil test should be done? Is total Pb and total Cd
: adequate?

There was some work on accumulation of heavy metals in strawberries and
potatoes by Lane and Martin at Plymouth Polytechnic (UK) in 1981/82.

I don't know where the work was published, but I know the issue was
topical at the time in Devon and Cornwall (UK) where there are rich
mineral deposits and the soils in some areas are contaminated with
heavy metals.

	Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis,                       |  Tony Travis
Rowett Research Institute,            |  JANET: <ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri>