Wanted: Aspen Seeds

Toby Bradshaw toby at carson.u.washington.edu
Tue Oct 20 18:15:54 EST 1992

In article <1992Oct20.215949.16968 at mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> jnchan at nyx.cs.du.edu (James W.Y.F. Chan) writes:
>I am posting this for my colleague.
>
>He is seeking info. on distributors or companies that sell seeds or seedlings
>of Populus tremuloides Michx. (common name Quaking aspen/trembling aspen).
>He requires about 5000 seeds.  Please contact:  Herbert Tuey
>                                 EMAIL/Internet: evbtuey at vm.uoguelph.ca

P. tremuloides is usually propagated by root cuttings, which form
shoots.  The only active aspen breeding program I know of in the
U.S. is in Minnesota.  Bailian Li is the geneticist, and the last
time I talked with him he was collecting seed for a provenance
test.  His phone number is (218)327-4490.  FAX (218)327-4126.

The Europeans plant a lot of triploid P. tremula x tremuloides,
and if good growth is the goal, this could be an option.

Aspen is one of the most widely distributed woody plants in
North America (bonus points for anybody who knows THE most
widely distributed), and if you want to collect seed yourself
the floral phenology dictates a trip to the Rockies or Cascades
in late spring...or to Alaska or the Yukon where the occasional
aspen clone is as scarlet as any red maple.

I've considered planting a small grove of aspen in my yard,
but 1) fall colors are usually not good in Seattle because
of the autumn rains and 2) I don't need my sewer line mined
for water and nutrients by greedy Populus roots.

Toby Bradshaw
Department of Biochemistry and College of Forest Resources
University of Washington, Seattle
toby at u.washington.edu