THE prevalent tree

Toby Bradshaw toby at carson.u.washington.edu
Wed Oct 21 18:47:21 EST 1992

In article <92295.172143MEK104 at psuvm.psu.edu> <MEK104 at psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
>I second the vote for quaking aspen (Populus tremuloides) as the most widely
>distributed species in the temperate zone.  According to "Silvics of North
>America.  Volume II, Hardwoods" USDA Forest Service Agriculture Handbook
>#654, "Quaking aspen is the most widely distributed tree in North America."
>(P.  555).

The phrase was "woody plant" and not "tree".  A group of us got
into a guessing game on this topic enroute to the Western Forest
Genetic Association Maeeting in Boulder.  Coincidentally, Jim
Harmrick provided the answer in one of his talks at that
same meeting.

Toby Bradshaw
Department of Biochemistry and College of Forest Resources
University of Washington, Seattle
toby at u.washington.edu