plants in hospitals

J Preiss--Seq Anal preissj at CLVAX1.CL.MSU.EDU
Mon Oct 26 21:12:00 EST 1992

        I have not done quite the research as Charles Delwiche, but I did do
some not very scientific polling about current practices of plants in a
hospital setting. The source is my wife. She has worked in 3 hospitals in the
last 10 years. One is a trauma-only institution and everything except cards
were expressely forbidden simply because every bed unit was a potential
setting for surgical procedures - usually simple, but each had the possibility
of quickly becoming quite unsimple. The proscription was a simple extension of
the prohibition of plants in the operating ampitheater. The card policy could
be terminated if the patient was/became immunocompromised (usually called
reverse isolation) or was in isolation for an extremely virulent pathogen. The
other two are Catholic hospitals and plants are not only allowed, but the in-
house flower shop has plants (as well as flower arrangements) for sale. The
only fine-print associated with the policy concerns critical care units which
have the same policy, and basis for the policy, as the trauma-only
institution. This policy had a quirk in one hospital because, while the halls
were very wide, the patient's rooms are very cramped with a window through the
wall with the hall. (Presumably this structure was to allow GOD an easier time
when making "house calls" but I do not explicitly know the reason for this
architectural quirk) The explicit policy stated that plants were not allowed
in the rooms - to avoid unnecessary housekeeping expenses resulting from
inadvertant spilling of dirt during patient care - but tables were provided in
the hall so that plants could be placed at the windows of each patient's room.