Help: humongous leaves!

klier at iscsvax.uni.edu klier at iscsvax.uni.edu
Tue Oct 27 18:29:37 EST 1992

> In article <16390 at umd5.umd.edu> bwilliam at oyster.smcm.edu (Bill Williams) writes:
>>A twelve-year-old kid in our neighborhood (southern Maryland, USA)
>>recently found an oak leaf
>>(Quercus velutina, I think) about four times larger than any I've
>>previously seen -- it's about 35 cm long by 30 cm broad. He and some
>>neighbors are very excited about this find and have called the local
>>newspaper (it's a small town) and asked the local botanist - me - for
>>some sort of explanation.  I haven't the slightest clue.

Leaves on "watersprouts" (juvenile shoots from basal portions of
the trunk) are often outsize.  I leave the explanations to the
physiologists... ;-)  I don't think polyploidy is an explanation
for all of the big watersprout leaves --I've only seen one with
abnoramlly large stomata like the ones you'd expect in a polyploid.

Kay Klier  Biology Dept  UNI