Domestication of poison ivy (was: THE prevalent tree)

Louise Twiggs louiset at informix.com
Tue Oct 27 11:32:14 EST 1992

In article <1992Oct26.141307.22992 at NeoSoft.com> claird at NeoSoft.com (Cameron Laird) writes:
>In article <1992Oct26.052850.1073 at ncsu.edu> samodena at csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu (S. A. Modena) writes:
>>In article <1992Oct24.151527.2352 at athena.cs.uga.edu> karen at athena.cs.uga.edu (Karen Snetselaar) writes:
>>>>
>>>...................  Written for the "general public in non-technical
>>>style" it has chapters on the history of poison ivy (has been a desireable
>>>ornamental in some European gardens for example), .............
>>
>>In certain European countries, some houses are surrounded by high walls,
>>and to be sure, thick broken wine bottle are cemented on top.  I wonder
>>of the desirable garden PI is just a more subtle form of broken glass? ;^)
>			.
>			.
>			.
>Hurry, please, someone more knowledgeable, and straighten
>us out on this one.  The story I'd always heard was that
>The English Are Different From Us, and take their gardening
>VERY seriously, and some of them are so wild for special
>effects that they're willing, and even eager, to trade
>poison ivy's admittedly distinctive fall foliage for its
>hostility to human ways.  They like the color of the leaves,
>and, to a lesser extent, its varied habits.
>--

Well as an inhabitant of the UK and consequently Europe - the numbers
of PI cases are VERY small.  In fact I have read with great interest
the ongoing 'when I had PI cases...' that have been going across the
net these past few months.  You certainly wouldn't find PI running
rampant across many country homes in the UK - maybe elsewhere in
Europe is different - but somehow I think not.  Most country
dwellers prefer large ferocious dogs and/or razor wire to keep
undesireables out!