PROPOSAL: alt.sustainable.agriculture

Lawrence London Lawrence.London at bbs.oit.unc.edu
Sun Sep 27 13:16:08 EST 1992

     I would like to propose and open discussion on alt.sustainable.
agriculture as a new newsgroup. Establishing an alt.sustainable.* category
might serve to pave the way for other groups covering topics such as
communities, development, culture and possibly habitat and environment.

     The term sustainable agriculture may have several definitions these
days but the one most adhering to the principles I and many others espouse
surrounds these concepts:

: 1) A natural and wholistic system using low-input, regenerative methods
:    working toward the creation of biological diversity and a permanent
:    agriculture.
: 2) Ecologically sound, socially just and economically viable.
: 3) Encourage sustainability of animals as well as humans.
: 4) Encourages awareness of the need for stewardship of the land.
: 5) Promotes maximum use of on-farm resources.

I am maintaining an FTP, mailing list site to accompany this newsgroup.
News articles will be archived there along with other related documents,
FAQ's, lists and indexes of information kept at the site. WAIS/GOPHER
text searches of the literature will eventually be possible. An automated
listserver will also be available.

Site information:
FTP to: sunsite.unc.edu
Docs are in:
   /pub/docs/sustainable_agriculture (newsgroup archives, general info., etc.)
   /pub/docs/sustainable_agriculture/recgardens (FAQ lists)
   /pub/docs/sustainable_agriculture/miscrural (FAQ lists)

For those without access to FTP send me e-mail with your requests and I'll
send them to you. Anyone with information to add to the collection should
FTP them directly or e-mail them to me for immediate posting (this
includes new or updated FAQ's or lists).

Lawrence

Chapel Hill, N.C.
1-919-932-3115

london at sunsite.unc.edu
lawrence.london at bbs.oit.unc.edu
larry at wolves.durham.nc.us (send personal mail only to me at this address)
--
   The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
     North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information