Looking for farming hand tool catalogs

Lawrence London Lawrence.London at bbs.oit.unc.edu
Sat Sep 26 22:24:53 EST 1992

In article <hank.717481862 at well.sf.ca.us> hank at well.sf.ca.us (Hank Roberts) writes:
>In <80477 at ut-emx.uucp> sbuchele at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Steven W. Buchele) writes:
>>I am looking for a source of mail order farm hand tools.  In the
>>specific I am looking for a walk behind row seed planter plus
>>other types of tools.
>>I will post a summary if there is interest.
Please send it to me in e-mail and I'll make it, along with
many other lists, FAQ's and articles, available via FTP,
e-mail, mailing list and WAIS/GOPHER. See my addresses below.
>No specific mention of the walk behind row seed planter handy; the recent
Request a catalog from:
Johnny's Selected Seeds
Foss Hill Road
Albion, Maine, 04910
Customer service: 1-207-437-4301
They supply EARTHWAY and PLANET, Jr. seeders and will, on request
give you information on suppliers of other seeders (i.e. a small hand-carried
corn/bean seeder. You may want to hybridyze the EW and the P, Jr.
when planting small seeds in rough terrain. An organic vegetable grower
I know here in N.C. has successfully done this.
>Whole Earth "Ecolog" mentioned five tool suppliers for farm and garden
>supplies; my hunch would be try Lehman's Hardware and Appliances,
>their catalog is $2.00 from PO Box 41, 4779 Kidron Rd., Kidron OH 44636;
>or Cumberland's, catalog $3.00 from rt. 3 box 81, Crossville TN 38555, and
>they have a telephone: 615-484-8481.
Also:

A.E. Leonard
somewhere in Ohio or perhaps Illinois
Mostly tree maintenance and nursery equipment,
plus miscellaneous gardening/landscaping tools/supplies

Mellingers
Lima, Ohio (I think)
similar to Leonard

Forestry Suppliers, Inc.
somewhere in Alabama or Louisiana
tools, equipment and supplies for the forestry industry

[I will look up addresses for the above companies if anyone needs them]

Langenbach
"A Collection of the World's Finest Hand Tools"
P.O. Box 453
Blairstown, N.J., 07825
Toll Free: 1-800-362-1991
Excellent!

Smith and Hawken
"Tools of the Trade - A Complete Source For the Organic Gardener"
25 Corte Madera
Mill Valley, California, 94941
1-415-383-2000
Also excellent! you may need to ask them what tools they
have for sale that are not listed in their catalogue,
i.e. held-over stock offered in out-of-date ones -
ask them to continue carrying the 4"X7" Japanese field hoe
(grub-type eye hoe using 1 3/4" X 54" handle) they used to offer,
and indispensible tool!

The Cook's Garden
"Seeds and Supplies for the New American Kitchen Garden"
P.O. Box, 535
Londonderry, Vermont, 05148
Offers the Korean "HO-MI" hand cultivator (curved trowel/cultivator),
well-designed and effective

Necessary Trading Co.
One Nature's Way
New Castle, Virginia, 24127-0305
FAX - 703/864-5186
Phone: 1-703-864-5103
"Natural Solutions for Farm, Home and Garden"
Wide range of supplies, books, fertilizers, tools and equipment -
catalogue headings include: books, composting equipment & supplies,
soil testing equipment & supplies, cover crop seeds, fertilizers
(their largest offering), pest management supplies and equipment,
wild bird supplies, animal care supplies and miscellaneous hand tools.
A major supplier, along with Zook & Ranck and Fertrell, for organic
farmers and market growers in the Eastern U.S.

I have fabricated a tricycle-type human powered wheel hoe
(push-type, not pedaled) that appears to be very efficient and effective.
I use plow points from old Wheel Hoe plows and from row tractor tillage
tools. In earth that has been rotovated 3-6 months ago I can produce
finely tilled ground to a depth of 6-8". Does a fine job of stripping
weeds out by the roots and is relatively easy to push. Price on request :-).

lawrence.london at bbs.oit.unc.edu
london at sunsite.unc.edu
       [FTP site - index, lists, FAQ's, etc. will be in
       /pub/docs/sustainable.agriculture
       - or e-mail me requests for any indexes or individual documents]
larry at wolves.durham.nc.us

--
   The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
     North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information