Weed biology (was information-based farming)

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Tue Sep 15 07:12:18 EST 1992

In article <92815120404.MIN-LTEAa02263.bionet-news at uk.ac.daresbury> you wrote:
: [...Kay]
: I don't know what the solution really is.  I'd love to see *most* pesticides
: put on a restricted list, but I don't think that one will fly around here.
: In the meantime, I guess I'll continue my informal teaching wherever
: I find someone to educate.

It's not just pesticides though - what disturbs me is the willingness
of local authorities to spray growth retardants like 'malathion' on
areas where children play to save on the cost of actually cutting the
grass.  They also spray growth retardants on hedges.

When you see the local cats being sick after an area is sprayed it
makes you wonder about the long-term effects on children.

Wouldn't it be nice if, instead, they could make jobs for unemployed
people instead of polluting the environment for all of us to endure.

The problem is, it would cost money ...

I'm sure there would be a market for slow growing varieties of grass
that look good, and don't need constant attention.  I also think it is
a pity that many people seem to be incapable of enjoying parkland
unless every single 'weed' is systematically removed - nuts.

The definition of a weed BTW is "a plant out of place" and I don't
think the diversity of species that occur naturally in grassland *are*
out of place in a park or on a lawn.

	Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis,                       |  Tony Travis
Rowett Research Institute,            |  JANET: <ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri>