plant phys use in breeding

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Mon Sep 7 11:18:28 EST 1992

In article <9287160924.MIN-LPHBa20156.bionet-news at uk.ac.daresbury> you write:
: After many years, research workers are finding some ways of
: putting the tools of plant physiology to use in the service
: of plant breeding, which are, finally, escaping attacks from the
: worst critics.  I've been reading both sides of the debate to
: see what the arguments are all about, and of course find some
: truth on both sides, something the extremists seem to have
: missed (or simply won't admit).  Is anyone else interested in
: this area?  The topics span everying from hormone (and other

Yes, I'm interested in ways of using cell wall characteristics
(including anatomy and chemical composition) in varietal assessment.

I'm particularly interested in the interaction between selection (ie.
plant breeding) pressure in favour of, for example, lodging resistance
and the impact it has on the nutritive value of straw fed to ruminants.

: compound) monitoring, to carbohydrate partitioning/growth
: analysis (a pet interest of mine) to chlorophyll fluoresecence.
: It seems to me there are some useful tools which could be
: developed more, and perhaps *will* be now that there have been
: a few small sucesses.  Maybe the scientific mental block which
: has pervaded this topic for so long is finally breaking down.
: Partly, this may be due to some of the genetic technology which
: allows us to look at chromosomes and trait loci more precisely.

I believe it is an economic (cf. mental) block on the use of plant
physiology in (large scale) genetic screening projects isn't it ?

One reason for my interest in the application of computing technology
to plant biology problems is that it may be possible to attack
questions that are too expensive to investigate any other way.  I'm
thinking, for example, of the manual labour associated with making
detailed anatomical measurements without image analysis.

: Anyone with any interest or thoughts on this, please post.  I'm
: still trying to learn more about this.  I work with some of the
: best plant breeders around, and I see some opportunities developing.
: Thanks -DmG

I realise that there are many people working in this area (witness the
interest in a maize news group recently).

The Plant Physiology Group of the Association of Applied Biologists are
organising a conference at the University of Nottingham in the UK from
6 - 8 April 1993 on the "Physiology of Varieties".

The conference organiser is Dr. E.M. White, Department of Agriculture
for Northern Ireland, and the proceedings will be published in the
Aspects of Applied Biology series.

	Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis,                       |  Tony Travis
Rowett Research Institute,            |  JANET: <ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri>