plant phys use in breeding

Daniel M Goldman dangold1 at iastate.edu
Mon Sep 7 09:45:44 EST 1992

After many years, research workers are finding some ways of
putting the tools of plant physiology to use in the service
of plant breeding, which are, finally, escaping attacks from the
worst critics.  I've been reading both sides of the debate to
see what the arguments are all about, and of course find some
truth on both sides, something the extremists seem to have
missed (or simply won't admit).  Is anyone else interested in
this area?  The topics span everying from hormone (and other
compound) monitoring, to carbohydrate partitioning/growth
analysis (a pet interest of mine) to chlorophyll fluoresecence.
It seems to me there are some useful tools which could be
developed more, and perhaps *will* be now that there have been
a few small sucesses.  Maybe the scientific mental block which
has pervaded this topic for so long is finally breaking down.
Partly, this may be due to some of the genetic technology which
allows us to look at chromosomes and trait loci more precisely.

Anyone with any interest or thoughts on this, please post.  I'm
still trying to learn more about this.  I work with some of the
best plant breeders around, and I see some opportunities developing.
Thanks -DmG