Magnolia grandiflora

GUALA stinger at pine.circa.ufl.edu
Sun Apr 4 17:20:34 EST 1993

Gil Nelson asks about the variation in M. grandiflora.

My experience here in FL has been that there is the great variability
in leaf size that you mention as well as in pubescence amount and
color.
I have found every possible combination growing in close proximity
in the wild and progeny from a single tree also tend to show this
wide variation so I suspect that it reflects simple genetic sorting
rather than separate lineages or a corellation with environmental
factors.

Stinger

P.S. It is my understanding that M. grandiflora only gets to NC
as it's natural northern limit.  Where are your field sites?