PLANT MICROTECHNIQUE COURSE

DR A MACDONALD BIOLOGY amacdona at cs-acad-lan.Lakeheadu.Ca
Thu Apr 8 13:39:22 EST 1993

I would be interested in exchanging information on course content/procedures
for a one semester course.
I normally take six senior students through basic procedures, for example,
paraffin, GMA, chromosome squash, whole mount, cryostat sectioning, the
microscope, photomicrography, darkroom techniques, various stain
procedures (safranin/fast green, iron and Sass's hematoxylin, PAS, Feulgen)
comparing CRAF and FAA effects. I have had great success dewaxing AFTER
staining to avoid up and down ETOH series.
I would like information on things like texts, good plant material ( I like
Araucaria stem), stain procedures to illustrate principles,
photomicrographic exercises, problems to avoid/success stories, etc.

My email is AMACDONA at CS-ACAD-LAN.LAKEHEADU.CA

Beware, I am a computer illiterate!

Alastair D. Macdonald, Biology Dept. Lakehead University,
Thunder Bay, ON. Canada P7B 5E1