BEN # 53

Adolf Ceska aceska at CUE.BC.CA
Wed Apr 7 22:34:00 EST 1993

BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N          ISSN 1188-603X
BB   B   EE       NNN  N
BBBBB    EEEEE    NN N N          BOTANICAL
BB   B   EE       NN  NN          ELECTRONIC
BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N          NEWS

No. 53                            April 7, 1993

Address: aceska at cue.bc.ca         Victoria, B.C.

BOTANY B.C. ANNUAL MEETING

will be held June 17, 18, and 19 at Fairmont Hot Springs
(near Invermere).

Topics include: 10 000 years in the Trench
                Aboriginal use of plants
                Environmental Ethics
                Biocontrol
                Columbia Marsh Tour

Registration cost +  forms are NOT YET available.
For more information, contact Tom Braumandl at (604) 354-6703 or
Don Gayton at (604) 354-6244. Watch BEN for further information.

AUSTRALIAN HERBARIUM TAPE ON TRIAL IN RBCM  [BEN # 27, 29, 38]

Herbarium mounting tape recommended by Mike Crisp (BEN 27) was
tested in the Royal British Columbia Museum and rejected by the
conservationists.

Bruce Bennett, who mounted the specimens, found out that

1) the tape had a tendency to pull up unless a long leader was
   applied;
2) the tape was difficult to work with when mounting dirty
   specimens: tape would not stick to root balls, etc.;
3) the tape needed in average twice or three times longer
   to mount a specimen than strapping with glue;
4) the tape was getting loose when specimens were frozen.

Mary-Lou Florian (conservationist) claims that the acrylic glue
used on the tape needs to be "cured" at high temperatures and
thus does not stick properly on the herbarium mounting paper.
Furthermore, all similar tapes (mylar base and acrylic glue)
have been rejected by the Canada Conservation Institute as not
suitable for archival use. She recommended to use archival
quality linen tape instead, especially for mounting bulky
specimens. Meanwhile we are testing another glue for routine
strapping of herbarium specimens.

MACOUN'S MEADOWFOAM (LIMNANTHES MACOUNII) - WIN ONE, LOSE ONE
From: Adolf & Oluna Ceska c/o <aceska at cue.bc.ca>

Macoun's meadowfoam (Limnanthes macounii) is an enigmatic
species, endemic to southern Vancouver Island. It is impossible
to explain the origin of this species - so distinct from all
the other Limnanthes species - in the area that was glaciated
only about 15 thousand years ago. We know the plant from about
thirty localities and only eight or nine of them host populations
with more than 200 plants.

This spring Oluna found a new locality of this plant in Victoria
on Saxe Point in Esquimalt. We have looked for meadowfoam there
before, but we have overlooked it. This is a large population
with about a thousand plants.

On the other hand, when we checked a population of Macoun's
meadowfoam in the Ruckle Provincial Park on Saltspring Island,
we found out that the Provincial Parks have expanded the camp
ground and built a road on grassy bluffs. On one spot they
had to put in a culvert and they dug up a trench that takes all
the water going through the culvert into the seepage with
meadowfoam. The water regime of the seepage has changed and
the population of meadowfoam has dwindled from the original fifty
or so plants to mere six survivors.

POLLINATION BIOLOGY DATABASE
From: David W. Inouye <di5 at umail.umd.edu>

This is a bibliographic database containing all of the 1,240
references cited in Techniques for Pollination Biologists
(Kearns and Inouye, 1993, University Press of Colorado,
available in May - see BEN 46), as well as several hundred more
entries related to pollination biology.   Many of the entries
in the database include abstracts of the papers.

The database is distributed with a copy of PAPYRUS Retriever, a
subset of the PAPYRUS bibliographic database program.  With this
program you can search the database for keywords associated with
each entry in the database, for specific authors, years,
journals, or words in the title of an entry (or combinations of
these variables).  The results of a search can be displayed,
stored in a file, or printed as a bibliography in the
appropriate format for several relevant journals and most
popular word processing programs.  The database is available
from its author, David W. Inouye, Dept. of Zoology, University
of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742 (301-405-6946), e-mail
di5 at umail.umd.edu

NEW FLORA OF THE BRITISH ISLES

"In writing this book I have attempted to produce exactly the
kind of Flora that for twenty to thirty years I have wanted for
my own use." - Clive Stace

Stace, C. 1991. New flora of the British Isles.  Cambridge
University Press, Cambridge. 1226 p. ISBN 0-521-42793-2
[vinyl cover] Cost: about US$ 75.00

The Flora has been designated throughout to be user-friendly.
The plants included cover all natives, all naturalized plants,
all crop plants and all recurrent casuals. A feature of the
Flora is the provision of 150 pages of illustrations.