Discoloration of dogwood blooms

Michael Lowry Michael.Lowry at launchpad.unc.edu
Wed Apr 14 08:35:42 EST 1993

I live in central North Carolina.  Every year I look forward to the blooming
of the dogwood trees.  This year I noticed on some of the early blooming
trees a discoloration in the flowers--white dogwoods had a yellow tint and
pink dogwoods were closer to red.  Over the past few days, however, many more
trees have bloomed which look fine.  Does anyone know what's going on here?
I read a few years ago about a dogwood blight that was mainly affecting higher
elevations.  I hope my observations and this disease are disconnected.

Thanks for any relevant information,
Michael Lowry
UNC-CH Environmental Sciences

   The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
     North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information
        Technology, or the Experimental Bulletin Board Service.
           internet:  laUNChpad.unc.edu or