Discoloration of dogwood blooms

Michael Lowry Michael.Lowry at launchpad.unc.edu
Wed Apr 14 08:35:42 EST 1993

I live in central North Carolina.  Every year I look forward to the blooming
of the dogwood trees.  This year I noticed on some of the early blooming
trees a discoloration in the flowers--white dogwoods had a yellow tint and
pink dogwoods were closer to red.  Over the past few days, however, many more
trees have bloomed which look fine.  Does anyone know what's going on here?
I read a few years ago about a dogwood blight that was mainly affecting higher
elevations.  I hope my observations and this disease are disconnected.

Thanks for any relevant information,
Michael Lowry
UNC-CH Environmental Sciences

--
   The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
     North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information