Plant pollution fighters

Wasel Chemij owner at
Fri Apr 30 15:05:58 EST 1993

In article <1993Apr27.002303.3152 at> ac571 at
           (Edwinna Von Baeyer) writes:

>Hi.  I'm a freelance writer/editor specializing in environmental
>topics, forestry, horticulture and landscape history.  Recently
>I read a short,general article about Bill C. Wolverton's work with
>measuring the amounts of household pollution caused by new carpets,
>recent paint jobs, etc.that a number of common house plants could
>absorb.  What I would like to know is where could I begin to search
>for related work on this subject -- is there a database, an index,
>or just specific journals I could check?  I'm not just interested in
>closed support systems, but would like to research on other plant
>experiments of the Wolverton type.  Any direction you could give
>me would be appreciated.
>Thanks,  Edwinna von Baeyer
>Edwinna von Baeyer
>fax: (613)730-4246
>email: ac571 at

Dear Edwinna,
             There was a small article in the New Scientist magazine
that mentioned that Yucca plants can take nitrogen from some gasses
in the air - from amines I think.  This allows the plant to survive
in poor soils.  In a domestic environment, these can act as natural
air fresheners, any some of the 'odours' that humans and pets give
off that make a room stuffy or stale, are also amines.  The article
is at least a year old, and there may be a reference to a more technical
			Good Luck
 Could you post you findings to the net?