Carbon content of a corn plant.

Ricardo J Salvador rjsalvad at iastate.edu
Tue Aug 3 14:16:25 EST 1993

In article <24JUL199319595413 at rosie.uh.edu> st34b at rosie.uh.edu (Ramirez, Angel A.) writes:

>	Can anyone tell me what is the average percent carbon content of
>a tipical corn plant (any species)?
>	By "corn plant" I mean: including everything, roots, leaves, etc.

The classic work on elemental composition of the maize plant is Latshaw and
Miller's (1924) "Elemental Composition of the Corn Plant" in
Vol. 27(11):845-861 of the J. Agric. Res. It is very careful work and has
been repeated, but not improved IMHO.

Their data show 43.6% of corn dry weight is C (refer to their article for
info on cultivar, growing conditions and chemical methods). The C is
distributed as follows: 26.58% leaves, 24.51% stems, 32.04% grain, 7.02%
roots, and 9.82% cobs.

I also refer you to:

Loomis, R. S. and H. R. LaFitte. 1987. The carbon economy of a maize crop
  exposed to elevated CO2 concentrations and water stress, as determined
  from elemental analyses. Field Crops Res. 17:63-74.

Williams, K., F. Percival, J. Merino and H. A. Mooney. 1987. Estimation of
  tissue construction cost from heat of combustion and organic nitrogen
  content. Plant, Cell & Environ. 10:725-734.

Ricardo Salvador      | Internet:   rjsalvad at IASTATE.EDU | "Thou art a little
1126 Agronomy Hall    | BITNET:     a1.rjs at ISUMVS        | soul bearing about
Iowa State University | CompuServe: 71570,212            | a corpse."
Ames, IA 50011-1010   | GEnie:      R.Salvador           | -Marcus  Aurelius-