plant RNA extraction method

Stuart Brown browns at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Wed Aug 4 14:19:38 EST 1993

I need some help with a method for plant total RNA extraction.

We have been using a classic method using phenol and LiCl
in a Tris/SDS  grinding buffer, followed by chloroform
extractions, 2M LiCl precipitation, and EtOH pptn.
This gives fair to poor results with lots of sample-to-sample
and day to day variability.

I just tried out a guanidium thiocyanate method with very poor
resuslts- basically my first isopropanol pellet (after 1st
chloroform extraction) contained a huge amount of junk which
refused to redissolve.

I need a plant method that is fairly quick and amenable to
scale up for handling lots of samples per day.

	-Stu

--
Stuart M. Brown                             If you can remain cool when all
U. of Manitoba, Dept. Plant Science         Around you are in panic,