Martin Hughes Biochem mjgh at
Thu Aug 5 10:11:27 EST 1993

In article <1993Aug5.144026.4471 at> kanyuka at writes:
>Hello all!
>I make potato cDNA lib in lambda-gt11 and I have to check how
>is it. I'll screen it with RUBISCO DNA probe.

Sorry that this is not a direct answer, but just a point to watch-
Make sure that your RuBisCo probe is for rbcS and not rbcL.  The
large sub-unit gene is coded for by the chloroplast, and chloroplast
mRNA does not have a poly(A) tail.  Since most cDNA libraries are
constructed using oligo (T) as a primer, the rbcL message will not
be represented in a cDNA library.

Martin J. G. Hughes
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK.
Email: mjgh at  OR  hughes at