Threatened Plants - World List

Duncan Bennett duncan at ibmpcug.co.uk
Thu Aug 5 12:33:09 EST 1993

      ***          World Red List of Threatened Plants           ***
      ***       New Publication / Request for Information        ***

In early 1994 the World Conservation Monitoring Centre (WCMC) will publish the
first global list of threatened plants.  This is a culmination of some 15
years of data gathering and analysis and attempts to incorporate all Red Data
Books and Red Data Lists as well as other published and unpublished
information on threatened plants; information on some 70,000 taxa is
maintained in BG-BASE, a PC-based RDBMS application. This 1000+ page book will
comprise approximately 36,000 taxa (ca 15% of known vascular plants) that are
threatened* at either the country or world level and will include the
scientific name, Red Data Book category* at the world level, inclusion on
CITES Appendix, distribution by country and Red Data Book category within each
country.  Data sources for nomenclatural, distribution, and conservation
information will also be included.  Due to space constraints, synonymy, life
form, common names, and presence in cultivation will be excluded.

In the late stages of this project, we are attempting to fill the obvious gaps
in our coverage and would appreciate hearing from anyone who reads this
message who would be willing to help supply new or update our existing
information.  There are, of course, many errors, inconsistencies, and gaps -
inevitable in a data set of this size - but we are attempting to correct as
many as possible before going to press.  If you are willing to supply either
geographically or taxonomically based information in a very short time frame,
or if you have any questions about this project, please contact

    Kerry.Walter at wcmc.co.uk

Please state the region(s)/taxonomic group(s) you would be willing to help
with and how quickly you could review or supply information.  Many thanks!

* the IUCN Red Data Book categories are:
+__________________________________________________________________________+
|                                                Taxa currently in BG-BASE |
| Extinct in the wild (to be included in the list):....................... |
|                                                                          |
| Ex      Extinct (in the wild)                                        634 |
|                                                                          |
| "threatened" categories (to be included in the list):................... |
|                                                                          |
| Ex/E    Extinct/Endangered                                           220 |
| E       Endangered                                                 3,507 |
| E/V     Endangered/Vulnerable                                        124 |
| V       Vulnerable                                                 4,359 |
| R       Rare                                                       9.998 |
| I       Indeterminate                                              5,317 |
|                                                                          |
| "non-threatened" categories (to be excluded from the list):............. |
|                                                                          |
| C       Candidate taxa                                                22 |
| K       insufficiently known (may or may not be threatened)        1,017 |
| ?       no information (incomplete distribution, etc)             34,793 |
| nt      not threatened                                             9,942 |

Kerry S. Walter                             email:   Kerry.Walter at wcmc.co.uk
World Conservation Monitoring Centre        phone:   +44 223 277-314
219 Huntingdon Road                         fax:     +44 223 277-136
Cambridge  CB3 0DL
U.K.