GABA in plants

mark_hov at antdiv.gov.au mark_hov at antdiv.gov.au
Wed Aug 4 22:42:39 EST 1993

The group I work in is involved in research into the biology of
terrestrial antarctic plants.  We have evidence that GABA
(gamma-amino butyric acid) is present in such plants at reasonably
high concentrations.  Does anybody out there know of any work or
references relating to the presence of GABA in plants?  I can find
any amount of work on the action of this neuro-inhibitor in animals
but that is of course of very little interest .8)!  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.  I have heard anecdotal talk about it acting as
a plant growth substance much in the manner of Giberellic acid, but I
can't find any references to back this up.  Anybody have any ideas?

Mark Hovenden

Mark J. Hovenden        	       	    	Ph:     	002 323441
Land Based Biology      	       	     FAX:    	002 323351
Australian Antarctic Division   	     mark_hov at antdiv.gov.au
Channel Hwy Kingston TAS 7050
Australia