Whitefly in greenhouse

Al Wojcik wojcik at pms709.pms.ford.com
Wed Aug 11 13:16:33 EST 1993

In article <1993Aug11.134015.29416 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk>, "Dieter Kieck<108kieck at witsvma.wits.ac.za>"@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk writes:

> Greetings
>
> Any ideas or solutions to the following problem?
> I am growing potato plants in a greenhouse which becomes infected with
> whitefly when the weather gets warm. In the past I have used various
> pesticides to control the problem to a certain degree. However, I am now
> starting a series of eperiments in which the plants will be drought
> stressed and would like to avoid spraying them.
>
> Dieter Kieck
> Genetics Department
> Wits University
> Johannesburg
> South Africa

	I don't know if these are available in South Africa, but both Ortho
and Safer sell a whitefly trap consisting of a sticky piece of bright yellow
paper which attracts whitefly like a magnet. They fly towards the paper and
stick tight. If you have find them, it is fairly easy to make your own by
spray-painting cardboard a bright yellow, letting this dry, then coating the
trap with either vegetable oil (which will dry to a sticky consistency) or
some kind of spray adhesive (sold at paper-good stores). These home-made
versions work quite well. It is not 100%, but it totally obviates the need
to spray, since they don't accumulate enough to be a problem.
	Hope this helps.
Al Wojcik
FoMoCo., Dearborn MI                    "A lickey boom-boom down"
Zone 5                                                          - Snow
Internet:   wojcik at pmsrs4.pms.ford.com
Work Phone: (313) 594-1999