Antarctic plants

mark_hov at antdiv.gov.au mark_hov at antdiv.gov.au
Tue Aug 17 23:28:45 EST 1993

Brent  (bdemars at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu) asked for specimens of
Deschampsia antarctica and Colobanthus quitensis from Antarctica.

There are several places/organisations from which this sort of sample
may be obtained, but you must think about the type of sample you
want.  Do you want live/living actually photosynthesising stuff,
frozen live samples, herbarium specimens, flowers and associated rude
bits or live-collection samples grown in more northerly coolhouses?
When you have worked out exactly what you want, or can let us know
what you want to do with this rather special collection, we can
certainly let you know what is available.  If you are looking at
pollen wall structure you will have rather less stringent
requirements than if you are wanting to investigate ecophysiological
specimens as do most big botanical or antarctic organisations but
we're a rather long way off.

I suggest you get in contact with the NSF who runs the antarctic
program for the good ole US of A, or some big herbarium at a botanic
gardens.  If all else fails get in contact with the British Antarctic
Survey since they do lots of work on the Antarctic Peninsula where
you will find grasses or even try Kew Gardens.

I may be of further assistance, so contact me if you desire.

Mark

Mark J. Hovenden        	       	    	Ph:     	002 323441
Land Based Biology      	       	     FAX:    	002 323351
Australian Antarctic Division   	     mark_hov at antdiv.gov.au
Channel Hwy Kingston TAS 7050
Australia