Eugene N. Miya eugene at
Wed Aug 18 19:18:41 EST 1993

>Does anyone know anyone or group that could assist me in obtaining specimens of
>Deschampsia antarctica
>and Colobanthus quitensis from Antarctica?

I'm not a botanist, only network monitoring, and I'm hopefully headed
down this fall.  We (Ames) have several programs which are based down there.
I was just playing with our submarine ROV Friday evening.

Subject to the rules for specimen collection as found in the US Antarctic
Program Personnel Manual (1992/1993), pages 26-29 and Appendix 3, sure.

Appendix 3 notes: for zoological, you should ask them for botanical:
Biological Samples
  The Smithsonian Institution maintains oceanic natural history
specimen collected by participants in the US Antarctic Program over the
last 2 decades  For information regarding availability
	Dept. of Invertebrate Zoology
	National Museum of Natural History
	Smithsonian Institution
	Washington, DC 20560
This might be faster if they can point you to botanical sources.

Independent of that Ames has problems in McMurdo, the Taylor Valley, and
S. Pole Station.  I am working on glaciology, but that is NSF/Caltech not NASA.
Here, you need to talk to the life science/Mars Program people.