ANTARCTIC PLANTS

Eugene N. Miya eugene at pioneer.arc.nasa.gov
Wed Aug 18 19:18:41 EST 1993

>Does anyone know anyone or group that could assist me in obtaining specimens of
>Deschampsia antarctica
>and Colobanthus quitensis from Antarctica?

I'm not a botanist, only network monitoring, and I'm hopefully headed
down this fall.  We (Ames) have several programs which are based down there.
I was just playing with our submarine ROV Friday evening.

Subject to the rules for specimen collection as found in the US Antarctic
Program Personnel Manual (1992/1993), pages 26-29 and Appendix 3, sure.

Appendix 3 notes: for zoological, you should ask them for botanical:
Biological Samples
  The Smithsonian Institution maintains oceanic natural history
specimen collected by participants in the US Antarctic Program over the
last 2 decades  For information regarding availability
	Dept. of Invertebrate Zoology
	National Museum of Natural History
	Smithsonian Institution
	Washington, DC 20560
	202-357-2030
This might be faster if they can point you to botanical sources.

Independent of that Ames has problems in McMurdo, the Taylor Valley, and
S. Pole Station.  I am working on glaciology, but that is NSF/Caltech not NASA.
Here, you need to talk to the life science/Mars Program people.