Plants and Algae

Forday Wayne Lee fwl at nova.np.ac.sg
Wed Aug 18 23:02:34 EST 1993

>We are currently undertaking a few projects involving micro-algae (not blue
>green).

>The medium being used contains urea as a N-source.

>I read once that plants cannot use ammonia but are restricted to Nitrates
>and Nitrites. Is this correct ? Can algae use urea ?

Thanks everyone. That was the first reply I ever got on Internet.

I know I may sound a bit ignorant here (I'm not a plantologist), but

	1.	Are algae plants ?
	2.	Can plants (like vegetables and trees) take up ammonia or
		are they restricted to taking up nitrates ?
	3.	If they can take up ammonia do they prefer ammonia or
		nitrates ?

Thanks a lot

Wayne Forday
Biotechnology Department