Instructional use of e-mail

Alexander L. Friend alf2 at Ra.MsState.Edu
Mon Aug 23 12:37:38 EST 1993

Is there anyone else out there who teaches an undergraduate
environmental science course who would like to get some outcrossing
of ideas and perspectives among the students via an ongoing
electronic discussion during the fall semester???  I am able to do
this from our campus but first wanted to solicit input from others
to see if there would be an interest.  My proposal would be to set
the sideboards to include both science and policy issues at a level
of sophistication in which a junior with freshman biology and
freshman chemistry would feel comfortable.  Also, I envisioned that
prominent scientists could be approached to participate for a one-
day to one-week period for as guests.  However, I am open to any
other suggestions.  Perhaps something like this already exists (?).

The background on my course is as follows:

TITLE: Forest Ecology and the Global Environment

OBJECTIVES: (1) To provide a scientific basis for current forest
environmental concerns.  (2) To develop methods for forming
rational opinions in areas of forest ecology that receive
considerable popular attention and have global application.

PREREQUISITES:  One university-level course in plant biology (e.g.,
BOT 1003), ecology (e.g., BIO 1003), or applied plant biology
(e.g., FO 4214 or WL 2014).

TEXTS:  (1) Eugene P. Odum. 1993. Ecology and Our Endangered Life-
Support Systems. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland. 301 pp. (2)
A booklet of articles available from Kinko's

Thanks for considering this idea,   --Alex Friend

Alexander L. Friend
Department of Forestry
Mississippi State University
Voice: (601) 325-2779