Repeated messages

SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA
Tue Aug 24 08:40:42 EST 1993

Whats going on? I Just recieved the following message 14 times from
this news group.

> To:            plant-biology at net.bio.net
> From:          ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri (Tony Travis)
> Subject:       Re: Teleology (was: Why do trees change color in the fall?)
> Date:          24 Aug 93 11:11:06 GMT

> Cameron Laird (claird at com.NeoSoft) wrote:
> : [...]
> : tionary bent sci.bio takes) to final ones.  My favorite
> : just-so story involving fall foliage is that it's a co-
> : evolved trait, one that's supposed to signal "EAT HERE"
> : to the great migratory flocks of seed-dispersers.  A
> : [...]
>
> I rather suspect it is the colour of the berries, rather than the
> foliage, that signal "EAT HERE" and that is why they are brightly
> coloured ...
>
> The colour of the leaves during senescence is a consequence of the
> pigments remaining in the leaf as the photosynthetic pigments are
> broken down prior to leaf abscission.
>
>     Tony.
> --
> Dr. A.J.Travis,                       |  JANET: <ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri>
> Rowett Research Institute,            |  other: <ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk>
> Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,            |  phone: +44 (0)224 712751
> Aberdeen, AB2 9SB. UK.                |    fax: +44 (0)224 715349
>
>Stephen A. Pluhar
SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA           Dept. Crop Science  U. of Guelph
Phone: 519-824-4120 Ext. 4865      Guelph, Ontario, Canada. N1G 2W1