Reapeting messages

Martin Hughes Biochem mjgh at mbfs.bio.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 25 07:07:39 EST 1993

In article <1993Aug25.092649.6354 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk> ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri writes:

[Tony apologises and explains multiple postings and then says]

>I get the impression that there are many more readers than posters on
>bionet.plants and I want to invite them to post an article here and
>introduce themselves.  This is a discussion group, so let's use it to
>discuss current issues in plant biology.

[and then he goes on to give an interesting description of his
work on degradability of straw]

I think there is a problem here in what Tony wants to see happening.
Essentially, we are all working on our own projects, which either
(a) we imagine no-one else is interested in, (b) are in a competative
field, and so there is a reluctance to talk about our results, and/
or (c) are too "shy" to post.
The Bionet groups with the largest traffic are those which deal with
"problems" and techniques.  It seems to me that there are a lot of
people out there (myself included) who are very willing to help
people with technical problems (usually by Email response rather
than by posting).  Having said that, the only time I posted a query
on b.p., I recieved only 1 response.  Possibly that reflects
a smaller number of folks reading, and being willing to respond to
this group than on, say, b.molbio.methds.reagnts.
So, whilst I agree that what Tony proposes would be nice, I cannot
really see any such thing happening UNLESS we sort of reformed
the group as a sort of Global Journal Club (since I believe that
not too many people are really going to be too willing to discuss
the ins and outs of their own work on a global network).
Any other thoughts?

Martin
--
Martin J. G. Hughes
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK.
Email: mjgh at mbfs.bio.cam.ac.uk