Reapeting messages

Tony Travis ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri
Wed Aug 25 04:27:35 EST 1993

Raul Arredondo (rarredon at uk.ac.MX.UNAM.IFISIOL.IFCSUN1) wrote:

: Can anybody stop repeating messages from Tony Travis? In last
: hours several of these messages have been accumulating in the
: mailing boxes. Also, which is the cause for these repeatings?
: Raul Arredondo-Peter

As I am sure you know by now, the duplication of my message was caused
by a problem elsewhere on bionet.  Please accept my apologies for the
repetition of my message but I was unable to do anything about it.

Thanks to the biosci staff for sorting the problem out, but don't let
it discourage anyone from posting to bionet.plants: if the number of
people who mailed me to complain about the duplicated messages would
just post one interesting scientific article to the news group it would
be a step in the right direction ...

I get the impression that there are many more readers than posters on
bionet.plants and I want to invite them to post an article here and
introduce themselves.  This is a discussion group, so let's use it to
discuss current issues in plant biology.

At present, I am working on a project to investigate the relationship
between anatomical features and degradability in maize, wheat and
barley stems.  We are using automatic image analysis techniques to
quantify differences in anatomy of varieties and we are looking at
the cellulase degradability of the walls and their ligin content.

Our basic objective is to try an explain differences in the
degradability of straw that cannot be explained simply on the basis of
the overall chemical composition of the plant material.  There are
evidently other factors involved in determining degradability and
anatomical features are an obvious candidate.

We are looking at:
			maize:		cell lines W401, Co125
			winter barley:	var. Tyne, Blenheim
			winter wheat:	var. Norman, Riband

and we have also investigated:
			oil-seed rape:	var, Rocket, Envol

I selected the cereal and rape varieties from the National Lists of
varieties recommended for cultivation in the North East of Scotland on
the basis of their susceptibility/resistance to lodging damage because
I believe that selection by breeders for straw 'stiffness' may have
resulted in genotypes with anatomical features that enhance mechanical
strength in addition to changing the chemical composition of the walls.

Changes in the anatomy of barley culms in relation to lodging has been
well documented in qualitative studies, and some quantitative studies
have been also been reported on the relationship between anatomical
features and degradability.

Our main objective is to produce a reliable quantitative method of
predicting degradability from anatomical measurements in conjunction
with a database of known degradability characteristics for specific
cell types.  We have already investigated the degradability of
mechanical fractionated tissues and are now working on methods of
measuring the rates of degradation of different cell type in-situ.

I am also interested in the relationship between the extent of
vascularisation in the stem and grain yield, and other characteristics
of crop plants that may be predicted on the basis of their anatomical
features.

	Tony.